Visited many open studios this weekend. Quite a treat as I am usually sitting in my Mission District studio waiting for people to come around. On Friday night we went to receptions at 1890 Bryant and Blue Studio. I was surprised at how much 1890 had expanded. Large studios were crammed with artists working in all media - painting, sculpture, jewelry, printmaking...There were also a number of large, yummy spaces for solo artists there. Among the notables, Chris Lieb (http://leibstudio.blogspot.com/), Cynthia Tom (http://www.cynthiatom.com/index.html) and Annie Arrasmith (http://www.1890bryant.com/anniearrasmith/index.html). Blue Studio is located in a gritty part of the Mission but here too, lots of artists. I saw several installations that were interesting. On Saturday we hit all three ArtExplosion locations and CellSpace. I met a number of artists whose work I admire - Rebecca Bennett (http://www.monsterartist.com/), Georgianne Fastaia (http://badfishstudios.mosaicglobe.com/) and Kevin Pincus (http://www.kevinpincus.com/). Today, I visited WorkSpace and ActiveSpace. WorkSpace had a lovely gallery on the ground floor and many artists' studios on the second. ActiveSpace is brand-new and houses artists and microbusinesses. It's great to see so many artists in my neighborhood!
