New Kanazawa train station with expansive glass atrium
Swimming Pool by Leandro Erlich
Color Activity House by Olafur Eliasson
Something that Dwells Inside Life by Kashio Satomi
Eco-Art with misspelling, artist name missing
The 21st Century Contemporary Art Museum in Kanazawa is comprised of free public access exhibitions and an admission-based (not cheap) section. Because we arrived in the late afternoon, we decided to visit areas that were free-access only. The museum is divided into multiple sections connected by white-walled corridors. It has several outdoor installations as well as segmented indoor exhibitions (painting section, eco-art section, installation section). Overall, I felt the collection was uneven. I loved Kashio's fiber art installation but many of the contemporary works by Japanese artists left me cold. I felt that the artists only grasped the surface sensibility of Western conceptual and eco-art and had not yet transformed the media into their own.
Entrance to museum
Connecting corridors




