Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Two Days to Christmas

Winter morning in San Francisco, red birds among the branches

Silver-tipped fir tree decked with ornaments

Copenhagen Bakery in Burlingame

The day started watery and pale with the sound of birds shifting in the bare branches. I finally photographed our Christmas tree, which has dried out quite a bit despite the watering. This year's tree is tall and spare, which allows the ornaments to stand out. It is my favorite kind of tree, although I love the smell of Douglas fir the best. Later in the morning I went to the Copenhagen bakery to get a Christmas eve dessert. They had many lovely desserts to choose from: yule logs, marzipan cakes, German chocolate, mocha cake....I ended up with 2 large snow ball cakes. I don't know what they taste like but they looked pretty. To this purchase, I added a loaf of wheat bread and small packets of pfeffernusse, ginger snaps and chocolate-covered ginger cookies. What a treat!