"Asian American"
"Alien American"
"100 Nights, 100 Poems"These are works in progress. Alien American/Asian American are manifestations of my bicultural heritage. Years ago I went to the Immigration & Naturalization Office during lunch break to take my citizenship test. When I got back, my co-workers greeted me with a party. Someone got tiny American flags on toothpicks and decorated my office with them. They were all over the cake we ate to celebrate this occasion. It was a funny and poignant moment. For years, I was conflicted about giving up my Japanese citizenship. As a green card holder, I felt I could still be Japanese and choose to live in Japan or US legally. I joked about being an Alien America when people asked me to sign petitions, vote for a candidate or serve jury duty. Over time, my lack of commitment began to bother me. My decision to become an American was difficult but the actual transition was not. Perhaps it would be more difficult now, under Homeland Security.
"100 Nights, 100 Poems" will be submitted to the JWAN show, Like Water on Rock. Persistence is the theme and I took inspiration from the legend of the 12th century poet, Ono no Komachi. A high-ranking nobleman, Fukakusa no Shosho fell in love with Komachi, and she promised to be his lover if he visited her residence 100 nights in a row. He vowed to fulfill her wish, but towards the end, he failed to visit one night. In despair, he fell ill and died. Though he failed in his quest, the legend of his persistence and loyalty lives on in Japanese literature. The piece includes old words written on dead leaves, discarded, but still beautiful. Hanging from the branches of a weeping cherry are 100 poems by Komachi. In his death, he won her heart, though she must carry her regrets and loneliness the rest of her life.