The menu for the evening
Lobsters lined up ready to be served
Carving Peking Duck
Peach mousse in strawberry coulis
I learned that it was the first time the Wine & Food Society had selected an Asian restaurant for one of their dinners. Tommy Toy's is actually a Chinese-French fusion restaurant but the food selections definitely leaned towards the Chinese last night. The Gewurztraminer was crispy sweet and went exceedingly well with the five spice prawns and steamed seafood dumpling appetizers. My favorite dish was the Peking duck, which followed. The slices were plump and crisp and full of duck flavor. I wish there was a little less of the plum sauce, which threatened to overpower the duck. The lobsters were impressive but I liked the plain, unsauced claws best. The quail were arranged in oddly provocative poses with legs splayed or lifted over their bodies. I was already getting pretty full by then. But that was followed by a delicious filet mignon, snap peas and fried rice. They need to destring the peas in the future, but the beef was delicious. I was surprised at how good the peach mousse was but was too full to eat more than a few bites.
I hadn't been to Tommy Toy's for many years. I remember all the dishes tasting sweet but this time, there was a good balance in flavors. Mr. Toy, who passed away in February, was an immigrant success story. He came here from Guangchou and worked his way up from a dishwasher to the owner of this opulent restaurant. His partner, Alon Yu, continues the tradition.
I hadn't been to Tommy Toy's for many years. I remember all the dishes tasting sweet but this time, there was a good balance in flavors. Mr. Toy, who passed away in February, was an immigrant success story. He came here from Guangchou and worked his way up from a dishwasher to the owner of this opulent restaurant. His partner, Alon Yu, continues the tradition.
