I read that H&M was going to sell a small line of Comme des Garcons clothes designed by Rei Kawakubo. On Thursday at 9:25 am I lined up behind a long line of fashionistas, all excited, all with strategies on nabbing pieces by this famous designer. The store opened early, at 9:45 and there was a mad dash into the store. Inside was a whirlwind of arms grabbing merchandise off the racks. The only sounds I heard were that of hangers being pulled off metal racks. No voices, just sounds of polished metal on metal. I was tempted to photograph the scene but had to clear my head of such thoughts and reach for whatever was left. It was clearly bad strategy to go to the wall by the window with the rows of woven shirts because that area was blocked off by large display stands. As soon as I could extricate myself, I ran to a rack of knit tops that was quickly being emptied, hurriedly picked some shirts that were my size, ran to the men's section and grabbed the one sweater left. Too bad all the jackets & coats & the fabulous skirts were grabbed by those first in line, but I wouldn't have relished waiting in line for hours & hours. Surprisingly the dressing room wasn't full, just a short line of people waiting for discarded clothes. Luckily someone was getting rid of assymetrical shirts and I got one of those too. I tried on a pair of polka dotted pants, man's sweater, assymetrical shirt, knit shirt and 2 woven shirts. They all fit! I even had an extra knit shirt for a Christmas present! The store was completely sold out of Comme des by 10:00 am - the regular store opening hour. The empty racks were quickly replaced by H&M's regular lines. It was an awesome shopping day!
Saturday, November 15, 2008
The Sport of Shopping
I read that H&M was going to sell a small line of Comme des Garcons clothes designed by Rei Kawakubo. On Thursday at 9:25 am I lined up behind a long line of fashionistas, all excited, all with strategies on nabbing pieces by this famous designer. The store opened early, at 9:45 and there was a mad dash into the store. Inside was a whirlwind of arms grabbing merchandise off the racks. The only sounds I heard were that of hangers being pulled off metal racks. No voices, just sounds of polished metal on metal. I was tempted to photograph the scene but had to clear my head of such thoughts and reach for whatever was left. It was clearly bad strategy to go to the wall by the window with the rows of woven shirts because that area was blocked off by large display stands. As soon as I could extricate myself, I ran to a rack of knit tops that was quickly being emptied, hurriedly picked some shirts that were my size, ran to the men's section and grabbed the one sweater left. Too bad all the jackets & coats & the fabulous skirts were grabbed by those first in line, but I wouldn't have relished waiting in line for hours & hours. Surprisingly the dressing room wasn't full, just a short line of people waiting for discarded clothes. Luckily someone was getting rid of assymetrical shirts and I got one of those too. I tried on a pair of polka dotted pants, man's sweater, assymetrical shirt, knit shirt and 2 woven shirts. They all fit! I even had an extra knit shirt for a Christmas present! The store was completely sold out of Comme des by 10:00 am - the regular store opening hour. The empty racks were quickly replaced by H&M's regular lines. It was an awesome shopping day!